Heather Coen - Paint the Wild Fine Art
Contact the Artist


Posted on 10/30/2023 7:15:56 PM
By HEATHER COEN
Comment on this

Pumpkins everywhere!

Pumpkins everywhere!

  Finally the days have cooled, the skies are clear and the Halcyon days of fall are upon us in Phoenix.  

 

                                                         

 

While gathering materials for my next series of paintings and viewing the galleries in Omaha, Nebraska a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of visiting an apple orchard and a pumpkin farm.    Although I generally don't paint things of this nature, it is still on the back burner,

 

Where is what I am painting however:

 

 "Sea of the Moon". 16 by 48, Oil on canvas.

 

This painting is about 80% complete but will need a few more weeks of work before it is complete.

 

  

 

"Monarch Jewels" has been included in the show "Big Ideas, Small Works,"  at the Shemer Gallery in Phoenix opening November 1, 2023 showing until Jan. 4, 2024.  Opening reception is November 9th, from 6 to 8.  The gallery is at 5005 E. Camelback in Phoenix.  You are invited!

 

"Illumine Falls" 36 by 48, Mixed Media.                                                                            "Flow of Life" 30 by 48, Mixed Media

 

 

As you can see, I've been concentrating on large scale paintings as these two are finally finished.   "Flow of Life" will be in a show called "Raising Our Brushes" at the Yuma Art Center, 254 S Main St, Yuma, AZ 85364 starting December 1, 2023 and running until Jan. 27, 2024.   Stop by if you are in the area.  


Posted on 6/10/2023 1:58:16 PM
By HEATHER COEN
Comment on this

Still Shining-Oil-12 by 12

Still Shining-Oil-12 by 12

 

The desert is about to go into the heat phase of summer.  Fortunately, I have a nice cool studio to work in.  Having done much plein air work in the past, I am hoping that I can get out and about with my oil kit in September.   I've got a number of places I want to visit this fall!

 

The still life above was done a few years ago.  My favorite turquoise vase is in this oil painting and I often use in when interested in this genre.  The bug hits me about every two years or so.  

 

 

This is actually a collage taken from an idea I saw in a gallery in Omaha last fall:  The artist simply painted a pink background, cut out flowers from a magazine and pasted them onto a large canvas.   The lasting qualities are in question.   Also if you can't paint a the flower why paste it on?  However I was intrigued since the artists "paintings" were included in prestigious show, so I went ahead and experimented with some cut outs and designed this mostly painted piece.   It was fun to do!

 

I'll be back with the upcoming shows in the next blog!

Posted on 8/13/2022 1:34:37 PM
By Heather H. Coen
Comment on this

Pincushion Flowers- Alpine meadows.

Pincushion Flowers- Alpine meadows.

     Six by six paintings are a real challenge! They are small enough to paint but to achieve realism they must be layered with thin glazes which take time to dry.  This piece is 80 percent finished.   However the mountains need work and the sky is not yet finished either.   They maybe small but they take more time than an 11 by 14 where large brushes can quickly lay in detail.  My work is cut out for me today!